Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Half of the Season Recap: Hectic Start to the Year

This will technically be my first post of the year. I guess you could say I've been slacking a little but that's what happens when you lock it down and start taking our sport seriously. I am not gonna run you down my swim, bike, and run splits from every race I've done this year, that would take far too long. Just give you an idea of my outcomes and a short blurb about my thoughts on the race.

Season opener: Clermont draft leagal day 1 and day 2, long story short.

Saturday: I tried to get too fit too early for this race. Racing back to back days isn't easy. Had a decent race on day one, by the time I got to the run I backed way off knowing I wasn't in contention and had to do it all over the next day.

Sunday: I struggled big time Sunday had a rough swim. Fell off the feet of the second pack and did what I could on the bike. When I dismounted my bike I came down on my ankle bad and was forced to DNF after 500 meters of the run. 


Florida 70.3: priority number one - qualify for 70.3 world championships. 

This was my second half ever. Not having much experience racing them I had trouble pacing. Had a good swim. Ended pushing the bike a bit too hard. Biked a 2:16 then got penalized 4 min for not dropping out of the zone before repassing. Averaged 338 watts over the full bike course which lead to a struggle fest on the last 8 miles or so of the run, managed to hang on for second AG. Punching my ticket to worlds, season objective number one: Complete.

St. Anthonys: This race was my first Olympic 2 years ago so it basically acts as a gauge for me to measure annual progress. 

After Florida 70.3, two weeks prior to this race I really felt like I never bounced back. I struggled through workouts leading up and just wasn't mentally in the game. Started out the race with a decent swim, second pack. Did most of my work on the bike as usual. Had the second fastest bike split of the day with a 57:40. I rode into top 6 or so then hung on for 10th overall on the day which I was pleased with considering the dudes I was up against.

Knoxville: Rev 3 age group championship, a hybrid distance race. 1.2 mile swim, 40 mile bike and 10mile run.

I was fortunate enough to have a lot of friends and teammates out there spectating and racing this day which honestly helped a ton! 

I had the fastest 1.2 mile swim I've ever had and managed 6th out of the water. Ironically enough I struggled more than ever on the bike this day. Ended up having to ride extremely reserved. I listened to my body and it paid off later in the day. I biked into third place, passed one person and got passed by one person on the run. I was sitting pretty in a podium spot. Mile three of the run one of my competitors ran up on my shoulder. It was go time for me. We ended up running the next 7 miles together. He sprinted up the last hill with .20 of a mile to go and at that point there was no space on the course to repass. I was 4th armature on the day by 7 seconds. First in my age group taking home the 500$ cash which was nice. Gutting, yet one of the best put together races of my career so far.
This race was a great confidence booster. Second half of the season will be amazing!

Exciting stuff since then: Since I was able to get my qualification for 70.3 world early in the season it has given me the opportunity to take a "mid season break". Taking full advantage, I've been able to do a lot of fun-non-triathlon-stuff. Some triathlon(coaching) stuff too.

Progress work on my tattoo:

Coaching: I've worked really hard the last couple months on starting my own triathlon coaching business. Official post to follow. For now you can follow us on 
Instagram: @BT_Endurance
Twitter: @BT_Endurance
Facebook: facebook.com/breakthruendurance
I am currently working with a handful of athletes with late season goals. I love seeing their progression before my eyes and look forward to some amazing races this year. If you'd like to get in contact with me about coaching feel free to email me at: ashibbitt@gmail.com.

Moving: I've had the opportunity to make a move out to boulder CO to train for the summer. I've only been here a week and I can already tell it's gonna be epic.

Awesome times with friends:

So far this year has treated me well but the best is still to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment